Are you intrigued by the world of sake but feel overwhelmed when it comes to making a purchase, especially in Singapore? Worry not! This guide is tailored for beginners, highlighting the essentials of how to buy the right sake and the convenience of sake delivery services in Singapore.
Understanding the Basics of Sake
Before we decide what is the right sake to buy, it is important to grasp the basics. Sake, a traditional Japanese rice wine, comes in various types, each offering unique flavors and aromas. The most common types include: Junmai, Ginjo, and Daiginjo.
- Junmai is pure rice sake
- Ginjo and Daiginjo are premium sakes with higher degrees of rice polishing ratio
Identifying Your Flavour Preference
Sake flavor profiles range from sweet to dry. As a beginner, you might want to start with a medium-dry sake, which is generally more platable and versatile. In the world of sake, we use a metric called the Sake Meter Value (SMV) to determine the dryness-sweetness scale of the sake.
The higher the SMV, the drier the Sake,
The lower the SMV, the sweeter the Sake.
Its important to note that the term dry does not mean dry itself, it actually means the lack of sweetness.
Rice Polishing Ratio: A Key Quality Indicator
In the world of sake, the rice polishing ratio is one of the key determining factor on whether a sake's quality is good or not. This ratio shows how much of the outer rice grain has been polished away. Premium sakes often have lower ratios (somewhere around 20% - 30%), leading to a more delicate and complex flavor. One example of a really premium sake with a low polishing ratio is the famous Dassai 23, with only as low as 23%.
The lower the polishing ratio, the more elegant is the Sake.
Freshness of the Sake Matters
Unlike some wines, most sakes are best enjoyed fresh, typically within a year or two of bottling. When considering sake delivery in Singapore, check for the bottling date to ensure freshness.
How to Buy Sake in Singapore
In Singapore, the popularity of sake is on the rise, and so are the options for sake delivery. Here's how you can buy sake conveniently:
1. Research Reputable Sake Delivery Services: Look for online platforms that specialise in sake delivery in Singapore, Prime Liquor is one of them. These services often have a wide range of options and knowledgeable staff to assist you.
2. Consult for Recommendations: If you're ensure, consult the experts. Many sake delivery services in Singapore offer customer support to help you choose the right sake.
3. Consider the Occasion: Are you buying sake for a special occasion or for casual enjoyment? Your choice might differ accordingly.
4. Think About Pairings: If you plan to enjoy your sake with a meal, consider what flavors will complement your dishes.
5. Look for Promotions and Tastings: Some sake delivery services in Singapore offer tasting sets or promotional bundles, which are great for beginners wanting to explore different types.
Embarking on your sake journey in Singapore is an exciting experience. With the ease of sake delivery services like Prime Liquor, you can explore this exquisite beverage from the comfort of your home. Remember, the key to enjoying sake is to start with a curiosity and openness to the diverse flavours and styles it offers. Whether you're a complete novice or looking to expand your palate, understanding how to buy sake is the first step in appreciating this fascinating aspect of Japanese culture. Cheers to your sake adventure in Singapore.